Mid / Senior Backend Web Developer - Salary: £35K - £55K (DOE)
Financial Cloud Overview
Welcome to Financial Cloud - a Fintech start-up that’s helping drive innovation and change in the fast-growing financial services space with its range of SaaS products.
Financial Cloud is an innovative financial services company based in Glasgow with clients operating throughout the UK. As a company, we believe that the success of our business depends on the people involved in creating our products. Our engineers are at the forefront of helping our business process millions of pounds and deliver high-quality products to our client’s growing customer base of over 500,000.
Our technology operates on a Kubernetes based infrastructure running on the AWS and GCP platforms. We build using a standardised technology stack that primarily includes Node JS and MongoDB powering the backend microservices and component-based Angular solutions driving our micro frontends.
Our developers are split into small micro teams within the business, play a key role in the future of our products and lead the business from the technology side. During this period of growth, we are looking to add a new Mid to Senior level Backend Developer to our team to help us with the next step in our vision for the product.
What you will do
- You will be hands-on with the planning, development and delivery of projects using industry best practices.
- Writing reusable, testable, and efficient code.
- Collaborate with engineers to solve problems and architect the future of our products.
- Work with frontend engineers to deliver backend API services to meet responsive design requirements.
- Identify and plan improvements to the existing codebase.
- Reviewing and providing feedback on pull requests.
- Implementation of security and data protection,
- Integration of data storage solutions.
- Help us improve. We’re always looking for ways to be better and want you to keep us moving forward.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone that can apply thought to the architecture of our solutions and create applications that can scale to meet demand. The following will aid in achieving this:
- A minimum of 2 years of commercial experience as a developer.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in Node JS.
- Experienced in working with MongoDB and NoSQL databases.
- Experienced in building software for production. You will also be comfortable with everything that this involves.
- Proficient with Typescript.
- Be able to architect and deliver scalable applications with a thought for the future.
- Experience working with frontend developers to deliver API based solutions.
- Be able to write and perform unit tests using a testing framework (we use Jest).
- With an understanding of modern web development and best practices, You will be keen to voice your thoughts and help lead the direction of our software.
- The ability to work independently on projects and provide accurate estimates of when work will be delivered.
- An open attitude to collaboration with other members on the team and mentoring less experienced developers.
- Motivated to implement best practice approaches within development and exposure to current industry best practices for applications.
- Experience integrating multi data sources and databases into a single system.
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
Exposure to the following would also be beneficial:
- Experience using Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Experience mentoring developers.
- Experience within a start-up culture.
- Experience in integrating automated testing.
- Experience working within an agile environment.
- Experience working with RabbitMQ
We are always on the lookout for passionate engineers who can make change happen, Know how to identify problems and are willing to pass on teachings to other members of staff along the way.
What we offer:
We offer a culture that promotes growth and collaboration within its teams. We invest heavily within the technical side of our business and aim to make Financial Cloud a place that developers can excel in and continue to learn.
We also offer the following benefits as a business to employees:
- 28 days standard holiday inclusive of public holidays.
- An extra 2 days holiday for each year of service with no limit.
- Your choice of environment and a company laptop. Windows or Linux, it’s up to you!
- We think future financial health is important and offer a 3% contribution to your employee auto-enrolment pension scheme.
- Conference and Training budget.
- Casual dress and great work culture.
- Flexible working hours and opportunities for remote working.
- Monthly town halls to align ourselves with the business goals and direction. (Lunch is on us too!).
- Cycle to work scheme.
- An active social committee with a work hard play hard culture. We also have regular sporting challenges within the team including our Financial Cloud running challenge.
- 1 to 1’s with team leads to focus on your personal and professional development goals.
- An opportunity to play a key role in the future of development at Financial Cloud and lead on new technology adoptions.