Policy Expert is the UK’s number 1 rated home insurance provider, and we are expanding on its award-winning success with new products, opportunities, and partnerships. An InsureTech company built in the cloud, driven by excellence and data, with a no blame culture. An approachable team, with many years of expertise and knowledge in a wide range of domains.
Welcome to the Data Team!
Policy Expert has always been driven by data. Our belief in the data we generate, or the data we integrate with, gives us our edge over the rest of the market. The Data Team creates software in Java, to understand, process, and deliver this mission-critical data fast and efficiently to the wider business.
The software you will create, as part of the Data Team, will be using modern approaches to both real time (streaming data) and at rest (batch processing.) Key to this team's success is understanding the data modelling, both in transactional and analytical relational data stores, backed with a good experience of SQL. The design and implementation decisions will involve empathy with others, like key stakeholders from the business. The Data Team takes pride in owning their deliverables even in the wild, keeping the quality high, and the practices lean and pragmatic. Together these drive the business direction.
This exciting role requires experience, or demonstrable desire, to become the principal engineer's second in command. Responsible for bringing fresh ideas. To understand and move forward the architecture. Mentoring the other members of the team. Being hands on and being strategic. It will require the ability to take the lead on new areas of development, with solid design and implementation methods.
- Modern Java written in a clean code fashion, adhering to good principles of OO
- Strong demonstrable experience with streaming fast data
- AWS: advanced knowledge of S3, Kinesis, and Redshift for starters
- Modern approach to API design and implementation
- Distributed and microservice topologies
- DevOps philosophy. You write it, you parent it in the wild
- Practical, Pragmatic, LEAN solutions
- Able to work in a team and as a individual contributor.
- Flexible working approaches like work from home
- Fruit, breakfast, and drinks provided
- Social events through the year
- Private medical cover with Vitality
- Travel season ticket loan
- MacBook Pro + Large screen
- Training and education through LinkedIn learning and Plurasight.
- Access to selected London O2 events and use of a Private Lounge.